Thai Elephant Day, Thailand
* In May 1998, the Cabinet approved the designation of March 13 as Thai Elephants Day to raise and sustain public awareness of the importance of elephants.
* Elephant are recognzied as the national animal of Thailand.
* The flag of Thailand used to be a white elephant on a red background
* On 19 February 2005, the most expensive painting by an elephant sold for US,000.
* There are between 3,000-4,000 elepants in Thailand. Around half of these are domesticated, the remainder living wild in National Parks.
* At the start of the last century, there were over 100,000 elephants in Thailand.